Monday, September 13, 2021 at 7 pm
On September 11th, 2021, marked the 20th Anniversary of the 9/11 Terrorist Attack on our Country. The Village of Maybrook Flags were flown at half-mast to honor those who perished, those who sacrificed their lives to assist, and the family members who continue to suffer their loss of loved ones because of that tragic day. Please keep Maybrook resident David Weiss, his fiancé Kathy Emhardt and his family in your prayers. David Weiss was a Fireman at the NYFD and lost his life in the Twin Towers. May we always remember and never forget!
Before we begin our meeting, please take a moment of silence to reflect and remember those who perished on September 11, 2001, and their families.
- Audeen Moore, wallkill Valley Times Newspaper- We received very sad news over the weekend. Audeen Moore who is a reporter with the Wallkill Valley Times and covers the Village of Maybrook informed us that her husband Vaughn passed away. We send our deepest condolences and prayers to Audeen and her family. May Vaughn rest in peace and may Audeen and her family find comfort in their memories.
- Maybrook Police Officer Ricky Maldonado– On Thursday, September 9th, the Village of Maybrook Board of Trustees met for a “Special” Village Board Meeting to appoint Officer Ricky Maldonado as a part-time Village of Maybrook Police Officer. Officer Maldonado started his Phase 2 of the New York State Basic Course for Police at the Orange County Police Chief’s Academy in Middletown, NY today. He served over seven years with the United States Marine Corps and is Fluent in the Spanish Language. Officer Maldonado will be a wonderful asset to our Police department, and we welcome him as an employee in the Maybrook Police Department.
- September 11th, 2001-2021 20th Anniversary– Saturday, September 11, 2021, marked the 20th Anniversary of the attack on our country. The Village of Maybrook gathered to remember fireman, police officers and civilians who perished on September 11, 2001. We also remembered Maybrook resident and NYFD Fireman David Weiss who lost his life while helping others in the World Trade Center on that tragic day. David Weiss’s fiance Kathy Emhardt joined us at the ceremony, along with her son and grandson to remember David Weiss. I want to thank Maybrook Fire Chief Ed Protsko and the Maybrook Fire Department for hosting this event. Wreaths were placed at the David Weiss Memorial at the Maybrook Fire Department and at the David Weiss Memorial Park in memory of David Weiss and all who perished on 9/11. I want to extend our thoughts and prayers to the families who continue to mourn the loss of their loved ones and we will ALWAYS remember those who perished that day. God Bless all of them.
- Open Meetings Lw during COVID-19– The New York State Open Meetings Law in-person attendance requirement was suspended due to COVID-19 in March of 2020 and that order expired in July of 2021. Given the increase in COVID-19 numbers, New York State has extended remote meetings through January 15, 2022 effective September 1, 2021. We, the Village of Maybrook will continue to host in-person Village Meetings while wearing a mask and switch back to virtual meetings if the COVID-19 cases and/or the variant poses a significant threat for the safety of the employees and residents. As of now, the COVID-19 Active Cases in Orange County has been at or around 1000 cases. Residents will be notified through the website if we return to virtual meetings.
- Orange County “Health and Fitness Day”- Orange County will be hosting a “Senior Health and Fitness Day” on Tuesday, September 14th from 10 am to 2 pm at the Thomas Bull Memorial Park – Day Camp Area. It’s a FREE day of health, fitness and fun which includes many activities and helpful information. Registration is required! For more info and to sign up contact Danielle Diana-Smith 845-615-3719 or email email@example.com
- Orange County Fireman’s Parade- The Orange County Volunteer Fireman’s Parade will be held on Saturday, September 25th in the Village of Montgomery. Line-up is 1 pm and Step-off is 2 pm. The Village of Maybrook Board of Trustees are invited to march in the paradewith the Maybrook Fire Department. I will be attending the parade along with Maybrook Police Chief Butch Amthor.
- Maybrook Police Department “Bike Rodeo and Petting Zoo”– The Village of Maybrook Police Department and our sponsor Garnet Health will be hosting a “Bike Rodeo and Petting Zoo” on Saturday. September 25th from 1 pm to 3 pm at the Danny Meyer Park. There will be a bike raffle, bike registration, petting zoo, bike rodeo obstacle course, injury prevention information and car seat safety check. This event is open to children from 5 to 12 years old and all participants are encouraged to attend with their bicycles.
- Women’s Recreation Softball.- Women’s Recreation Softball continues their season into September. A revised schedule has been put together. Tomorrow evening was scheduled for the last game however make up games will begin this Thursday. Games will be played on Tuesday and Thursday evenings to make up the games before the fall chill sets in. The schedule will be posted on the Village of Maybrook website.
- Maybrook Co-ed Recreation Volleyball- The Maybrook Co-ed Recreation Volleyball program continues play and will be wrapping up their season in September as well.
- Village of Maybrook “Fall” Community Wide Yard Sale– The Village of Maybrook “Fall” Community Wide Sale is scheduled for Saturday, October 2nd throughout the village from 8 am to 3 pm. All residents are welcome to participate.
- Orange County Youth Soccer Program- The Orange County Youth Soccer Program is set to open their fall season this this coming Saturday, September 18th in the village. Please use extra caution when traveling in the park in the coming weeks.
- Next Village Board Meeting- Our next Village Board Meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 27, 2021 at 7 pm. Please stay in touch with the Village of Maybrook website and Facebook Page for updates on COVID-19 and village events.
Mayor Dennis K. Leahy