Village of Maybrook Board Meeting
Monday, September 9, 2019
*On September 11th, the Village of Maybrook Flags will be at half-mast to honor those who perished, those who sacrificed their lives to assist, and the family members who continue to suffer their loss of loved ones as a result of that tragic day on September 11, 2001. May we always remember and never forget!
* On Saturday, August 31, 2019, William J. Larkin Jr. who represented the 39th District in the New York State Senate from 1991 until his retirement in 2018 passed away. Senator Larkin was a dedicated public servant and a decorated veteran who served in World War II and Korea. The Village of Maybrook sends our sincere condolences to the Larkin Family. Senator Larkin lived a wonderful life. May God bless his soul, and may he rest in peace. Flags in the Village of Maybrook were put at half-staff in honor of Senator William J. Larkin Jr. as well.
Let’s please take a moment of silence in memory of September 11, 2001 and in memory of the late Senator William J. Larkin Jr.
- Maybrook Co-ed Adult Beach Volleyball- The Maybrook Co-ed Volleyball program continues to move along. The program finished up last week. Thank you to Marty Brown for running the program and a great season.
- Maybrook Women’s Recreation Softball- Maybrook Women’s Recreation Softball continues their season on Tuesday nights up to the end of September. We had a few rain outs. The makeup games are scheduled for Thursday evenings weather permitting.
- Celebrate Maybrook 2019- The Village of Maybrook originally planned to host our annual “Celebrate Maybrook 2019” on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, September 12th, 13th and 14th. Due to circumstances beyond our control, the amusement rides had to be cancelled due to the untimely passing of the vendors son. For this year, we will be hosting “Celebrate Maybrook Day 2019” on Saturday, September 14th .We will have the Maybrook Police Department and Orange Regional Medical Injury Prevention Bike Rodeo, The Maybrook Fire Department Fire and Safety Prevention, a petting zoo with pony rides, inflatable rides for kids, live music performed by “Soul City Groove”, food and FIREWORKS to end the evening! Hoping for nice weather! Festivities begin at 4 pm. Hoping for good weather and hope to see residents there! *Entertain a motion from the Village Board to have one-way traffic on Schipps Lane, through the park with a one-way exit onto Christian Lane to Homestead Ave. This will begin at 3 pm and end at 11 pm Saturday, September 14th.
- Maybrook Senior Center Sound System- The mixer used for the sound system in the Maybrook Senior Center recently burnt out and had to be replaced. The cost of the mixer is approximately $100. Eric Guarneri, owner of E-Rock Entertainment assisted me in determining the problem and generously donated a brand-new mixer for the Senior Center. Eric does a lot of our events in the village. It was nice gesture by Mr. Guarneri and I felt it was important to mention. I will be sending him a thank you note from the village.
- Wallkill Valley Time Reporter Laura Fitzgerald- This past week I was notified by the Wallkill Valley Times Reporter Laura Fitzgerald has found a new job and is moving back home in the mid-west closer to her family. Laura did an outstanding job reporting the news and was fair and objective. I wish her all the best in future endeavors.
- Senator James Skoufis– On Tuesday, September 3rd, I attended a press conference by Senator James Skoufis pertaining to the Town of Montgomery IDA and specifically the Medline Project. I support Senator Skoufis’ investigation of the Town of Montgomery’s IDA. The town’s comprehensive plan has not been updated since 1988, and that has caused great concern among residents. The Town of Montgomery’s infrastructure is outdated, and has been neglected for several years, despite having an IDA which sole existence should be to promote the economic and infrastructural health of a community. I look forward to seeing what Senator Skoufis’ investigation yields.
- Village of Maybrook and VFW Post 2064 & Auxiliary “Run for Homeless Heroes” 5k Race/Walk -VILLAGE OF MAYBROOK AND VFW POST 2064 & AUXILIARY will host our “Run for Homeless Heroes” Classic 5k Run and Walk which will be held on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26th. All proceeds will benefit homeless veterans. This information along with the registration form and online registration will be available on the Village of Maybrook website.
- Walden Rotary “Backpack Giveaway”- On Thursday, August 29th the Walden Rotary held a “Backpack Giveaway” under the pavilion in the Frederick Meyers Veterans Memorial Park. All kids who came down to the park were given a FREE School Backpack and FREE haircuts were given as well! Thank you, Walden Rotary for all you do for our community. Special Thank you to Dickie Baxter, Vinny Reda, John Fallon, Keith Hunter and Tina Johnson.
- September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness- Teal ribbons have been displayed throughout the village for the month of September which is recognized by the Village of Maybrook as Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. This is done through the family of Corrine Feller, her father Ron Feller is a former Town of Montgomery Councilman. We hope by spreading awareness encourages women to get early screening.
- Orange County Youth Soccer– Orange County Youth Soccer opened there fall season this past weekend in the Frederick Myers Veterans Memorial Park. The Soccer Field at the David Weiss Memorial Park is not quite ready for play. We decided it would be best to get through the fall and begin play on the new field in the spring of 2020. Please use extra caution when driving in the park on the weekends.
- Village of Maybrook “Community Shred Day”– will be held on Friday, October 4th from 8 am to noon. Residents are welcome to safely discard old documents and bills by bringing them here to the Maybrook Government Center FREE of charge!
- Village of Maybrook “Fall” Community Yard Sale– will be held on Saturday, October 5 th from 8am to 3pm in the village.
- Village website– The Village of Maybrook has been down for the past week due to a software update. The site is online, and we are getting familiar with the new software. Thank you for your patience.
- Next Scheduled Village Board Meeting– Our next Village Board Meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 23rd here at the Maybrook Government Center beginning at 7 pm. We officially go back to two meetings a month.
Mayor Dennis K. Leahy